We bought an XBox 360 and had problems connecting to Live. It turns out our router was just too far away. When we connected to XBox Live the signal strength bars that are displayed showed only the very first one lit up. We have a BT HomeHub (black) so we looked for a suitable repeater and came up with the EDIMax.
Here are the instructions for configuring the EDIMax:
1) Log onto BT Homehub and get the following details:
IP Address; Subnet Mask; DHCP range (two sets of numbers); Channel number
2) Connect Edimax router to PC via LAN port. DO NOT connect to the router!
3) Go to Network settings on PC and change TCP/IP address (make a note of current settings first) to 192.168.2.2 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, apply/save…
4) Go to Internet Explorer and in address field connect to 192.168.2.1
5) It will open up a settings page for the router.
a. Click on Basic Settings. Change from AP to Universal Router; amend ESSID to something more sensible (eg Edimax Repeater); search for routers and connect to your BT HomeHub. Please note the channel numbers must be the same.
b. Click to apply this but DO NOT click on APPLY on main page as yet
c. Click on Security and put in WEP 128-bit encryption password (uncheck 802.1 support); apply this page but DO NOT click on APPLY on main page
d. Click on System utility and change IP address to an address where the first three numbers are the same as the router but the last number is outside the automatically assigned address. In our case we used one which is just below the router address; subnet mask 255.255.255.0; gateway=router IP address
e. Now, you can click on APPLY on the main page.
f. Wait! When it comes back with OK, click on it. The repeater will have reset itself and should now be visible to other computers in the vicinity but the PC will be unable to see it.
6) On PC go to network settings and return TCP/IP address back to previous settings and save. Disconnect the EDIMax from the back of the PC. Give it a minute and in your list of available networks you should now see your HomeHub and the EDIMax.
7) Now, when other devices see the EDIMax repeater and try to connect they will need the WEP key.
8) On the XBox look for the EDIMax router – you will need to enter the WEP key! You should find that now when you connect the signal strength is much stronger and you won’t keep falling out.
This worked for me. Good Luck!